Friday, November 11, 2011

Penn State and the United States

The news of what is alleged (key word) to have happened at Penn State is heartbreaking.  To see someone in authority use their position to abuse and take advantage of vulnerable children can make the most mild tempered person's blood boil.  What struck me in reading it today was that several people who witnessed the alleged crimes, followed "protocol" in reporting the crimes to their superiors.  While the witnesses followed the law, young boys allegedly suffered for years because of the witnesses unwillingness to speak out against the institution. 

This realization caused me some introspection.  What would I have done if I had been a witness?  Would I be satisfied with letting the people in charge handle it? While I like to think I would be better than that, I know that in my own power I too am only human.

Consider for a moment a shift in focus.  What if the country I lived in was breaking laws and in the process harming innocent, powerless victims?  What if the people who were supposed to stand up for justice were turning a blind eye towards crime because of their personal ambitions?  What if innocent peoples blood was crying out for justice?  Would I stand up to protect the Institution and The Ones in power?  Or would I, would YOU, cry out for justice for those who are unable to protect themselves?

Ezekiel 22:29-30 
The people of the land have used oppression, and exercised robbery, and have vexed the poor and needy: yea, they have oppressed the stranger wrongfully.
And I sought for a man among them, that should make up the hedge, and stand in the gap before me for the land, that I should not destroy it: but I found none. 
God help me to be a man who will rise up and stand in the gap.

Note:  For the record I believe that the Pennsylvania Attorney General (Linda Kelly) is abusing her position of power as well.  Check out the excellent article by William Anderson about this here.

No comments: