Friday, November 19, 2010

Driving Life While Distracted

Have you ever looked at Statistics and Facts About Distracted Driving? According to distraction.gov "almost 20 percent of all crashes in the year 2008 involved some type of distraction" and "nearly 6,000 people died in 2008 in crashes involving a distracted driver." "More than half a million were injured." 


Picture via http://news.webshots.com/

Think about that for a moment.  Nearly SIX THOUSAND people died and more than half a million were injured because someone wasn't paying attention to the things that they should have been paying attention to.  It's a sobering thought.  

Why am I writing about this you ask?  Am I promoting a national campaign on Distracted Driving?  No I'm not.  While that would be a heroic endeavor, my thoughts are in a different vein. God has been challenging me live a LIFE that is not distracted.  When I live distracted from my calling as a Christ follower, husband, and father, people around me (usually those I love the most) get hurt emotionally and spiritually.  Did I intend to hurt them? Of course not!  But the hurt, pain, and scars, that my distracted living caused are real.

1 Corinthians 10:12 (ESV) says this:
"Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall."
I am challenging myself to live a life that is focused on the things that are MOST important.  Let us all "take heed" lest the things we desire most slip away from us because we allowed ourselves to live distracted.

4 comments:

ashesblog.com said...

Jet,

Thanks for those good thoughts. We all need to focus more diligently on what is most important. That includes me; I've often failed to do that.

jet said...

Thanks for your input Noah. I miss our FB interaction. :)

AMW said...

I had an accident nearly two years ago because I took my eyes off the road, quite literally, for about one second. It's amazing what can happen in the blink of an eye.

jet said...

Hey AMW, Thanks for dropping by. It is amazing what can happen so quickly. I was on the volunteer Ambulance & Fire squads for several years. Peoples live are changed, or ended, so quickly. It's sobering.