Friday, August 28, 2009

I Have a Dream

Forty six years ago today Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King gave his famous "I Have a Dream" speech. I decided to listen to it to "commemorate" the occasion. As I was listening I was struck by the call for revival that is laid forth in the last part of his speech. He quotes Isaiah 40:4-5 word for word.

"I have a dream today! I have a dream that one day 'every valley shall be exalted, and every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight; and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together.'"

As I was soaking in the weight of Rev. King's speech, God reminded me of a dream I had 4 years ago that was based on the exact same passage of scripture! God gave me this dream just days before a major shakeup happened in our church that ultimately led to one of our pastors leaving. Here is the dream as I wrote it down back in the fall of 2005:
My Dream of a Highway through a Wasteland

I was walking up the side of a steep dirt mountain which was a “completed” portion of the County landfill (you can see this landfill from the front of our church). As I walked up the steep crusty dirt, I saw a straight and level highway which was being built/cut through this mountain of dirt and trash. On either side of the road the bank went straight up through the dirt and trash. It was obvious that whoever was building the road wanted it straight, level, and had said "no matter what is in the way, the road must go on level and straight," so the road had been built straight through the dump.
This is the interpretation and scriptures that God gave me (at the time) to go with the dream:

Interpretation
The Lord says; Look and see I am making a way were there was no way. Where waste and rejection have become a mountain, I am building my highway. What once was rejected, ridiculed and mocked, I have chosen as a pathway of blessing; a highway of righteousness. Where once there was no way, I have made a straight and level way. Ridicule, shame, and hopelessness will be replaced with amazement, awe and wonder.


Isaiah 40:3-5
The voice of one crying in the wilderness: “Prepare the way of the LORD; Make straight in the desert A highway for our GOD. Every valley shall be exalted and every mountain and hill brought low; The crooked places shall be made straight and the rough places smooth; The glory of the LORD shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together; for the mouth of the LORD has spoken.”

Isaiah 49:8-13
This is what the LORD says: "In the time of my favor I will answer you, and in the day of salvation I will help you; I will keep you and will make you to be a covenant for the people, to restore the land and to reassign its desolate inheritances, to say to the captives, 'Come out,' and to those in darkness, 'Be free!' "They will feed beside the roads and find pasture on every barren hill. They will neither hunger nor thirst, nor will the desert heat or the sun beat upon them. He who has compassion on them will guide them and lead them beside springs of water. I will turn all my mountains into roads, and my highways will be raised up. See, they will come from afar, some from the north, some from the west, some from the region of Aswan. Shout for joy, O heavens; rejoice, O earth; burst into song, O mountains! For the LORD comforts his people and will have compassion on his afflicted ones.

So why did God give me the same dream (literally) as the "Dream" Reverend King spoke about metaphorically 46 years ago? Are they connected? What part is he asking me to play in His plan?

I'm going to have to think about this for a while...

No comments: